Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 1: Tuesday February 1, 2011

We arrived at Mama Roja today in a torrent of rain. Kim and Marcelo said that it’s the most rain they’ve gotten all summer… 80 cm, just within a few hours today. It is so green here, and the rivers are running full, and a smoky red color because of all of the turbulence with the red clay soils. We went swimming after setting up our tents- we’ve all decided that I’m sleeping in the ‘banana hammock’. Jon lent me his hammock tent and I can’t stop thinking of it as a little banana… Kim dubbed it the banana hammock. The philodendrons are huge here- like what I’d imagine they would be like in the amazon. The dog Rambo greeted us with his tongue permanently sticking out, like Jon said.
Everyone is sweet. The air smells so clean. We hear the sound of the two rivers that merge on the property, and also many calling insects and frogs. I went to use the toilet before bed this evening, and found the biggest spider I have ever seen in the wild, just under the seat. I decided to use the other toilet.

Orion is out tonight, upside-down. The stars are so bright here, and we can see many more than at home because there is not light pollution. One of my first thoughts arriving today was: wouldn’t it be nice if this was my life? To be so relaxed all the time? This is all we have to do- grow our food, craft, build, enjoy each others’ company. Life is full of good people and meaningful work.

7 comments:

  1. look at that huge kitten! Isn't the white one the one we agreed that we liked the best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "wouldn’t it be nice if this was my life? To be so relaxed all the time? This is all we have to do- grow our food, craft, build, enjoy each others’ company. Life is full of good people and meaningful work"

    Yes, um and we are going to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, yay, yay! Beautiful, words, pictures, energy, I'm so excited for you - this is going to be such a wonderful shift of energy for you! love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so great Hannah! I know you will get so much out of this experience. So glad you got there safe and happy. Can't wait to make the simple life our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon, yes, that is your little white kitten... his name is Conan the Barbarian, and Kim said he was your and Marcelo´s favorite. He ´s the softest thing around, and super sweet, but I think the butterflies might disagree. He eats them and then leaves their parts lying around...

    I can´t wait to make this life ours! Heck, it´s ours already, isn´t it? Love you all! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I loved that kitten! Can you collect the butterfly wings for me that he leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will! What might you do with them, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete