Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 22


Every day we go into town I come home craving vegetables. Most of Argentina doesn’t eat them, apparently, and you can’t really buy anything that feels alive to eat in town. Alfajores? Sure. Empanadas? Of course. Milanesa? Absolutely. But ensalada? Not so much. You can get a bowl full of overpriced lettuce at a restaurant if you wish, but to me I’d rather eat chipas in town and come home to eat good veggies later. We eat the most beautiful food here on the farm!

Today was a day in town though. I spent the morning at the Esso station, and Keren came to meet me for lunch there. During siesta we decided to walk to the reptile museum, which looked like it was nearby on the map. It wasn’t a far walk, but we were quickly out of the city and walking on the side of the highway, cars zooming by us.

We arrived at the museum, but the door was shut. It said: lunes a jueves: 13:00-17:00. Viernes y Domingo: 13:00-18:00. Sabado y dias lluviosas: cerrado. (Monday to Thursday, open 1-5pm. Friday and Sunday: 1-6. Saturdays and rainy days: closed.) It was sprinkling as we tried the locked door. As we were about to walk away, the door sprang open and a woman beckoned us inside. Keren and I had expected something different than what we found. The first room was filled with snakes and lizards of many varieties.
Most were completely still. Some blinked. But as we were nearing the end we heard a noise that sent the hairs on our arms straight up. I could feel prickles on the back of my neck as I turned to see rattlesnakes twisted and ready to strike at us through the glass, tails waving furiously.
“At least they let us know something’s up before they strike” I said. Keren agreed.

Outside we found turtles, alligators, and more snakes and lizards.

There was greenery there too, but it was hard to see all of the creatures in tiny cages. We didn’t stay long, and were glad to leave.

A weird feeling lingered with us as we walked home.We talked about the Monsanto movie we watched the other night. It’s something we’ve all been thinking about silently, I think. What should we do? We both recognized that educating others is imperative. Here is one of the many ficus trees that grow here. They have fig-like things that grow off their trunks, and I am tempted to try them, but Kim and Marcelo have said they are not edible. Still, I might give it a go just to see...

Keren also decided immediately that the way she will take action is to grow plants and save seeds. She hopes to start a small seed saving collective amongst her friends and family at home in Seattle.

For me, I feel like it’s also important to pay more attention to the things I vote for every day with the purchases I make. I can’t be lazy - the cost is too great. Making more consistent conscientious choices in the foods I purchase is a meaningful way I can clean up some of my own impact in the world.
Not purchasing is also a good way to vote, I think. And if we do buy seeds, we should be careful to only buy from reputable non-GMO sources. Realizing that I can do these things, that I can start right now, made me feel better. Together we can make a difference! Will you help too?

3 comments:

  1. I'm picking out my seeds right now from a reputable source: Pinetree Garden Seeds, from New Gloucester, Maine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! You're such an inspiration Erin... fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy almost entirely from FEDCO, as their catalog always starts off with an impassioned screed about their resistance to GMOs and they actually rate each seed source so you can, if you want, buy only seeds raised on small, local organic farms! I plan to learn more about seed-saving, too.
    Hey, do you know about John Michael Greer? He writes a blog called "The ArchDruid Report" that offers a lot of thoughtful, realistic options for people who want to become "green wizards" or active pursuers of sustainability. Sue and I also like a forum called "permies.com."

    ReplyDelete