Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 7

It’s hard to believe I’ve been here for almost a week. In many respects it feels like I have been living here forever- hard to believe it has only been a week. I often feel that way when I am not enjoying myself- time passes so slowly then. But I have just been so incredibly present this week that time has been passing slowly- like summertimes as a child.

We finished the base for the long-drop toilet today, filled all the bags with soil and pounded them flat, and then moved on to sifting soil for mortar. We will start building with bricks next, and we’ll use the mortar then. The soil is wet from all the rain we’ve been having, so sifting it through the big metal grate was a long process, but it was fun to stand with Keren and talk while we worked. I helped Kimberly with lunch today, and we chopped and chatted endlessly about how we came to be here now. I often believe that everything happens for a reason, but this trip especially feels like it is coming just at the right time in my life, and I have good work to do here, much to learn. I’m not sure how that will manifest, but I am trying to be an open book, ready for whatever may come my way. Everything feels so open and full of possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment